header 1
header 2
header 3

Streator History

 

 

Article From Janice Homles

1830: William S. Horn marries Sylvia Hall, one of two girls later kidnapped by Indians during the Indian Creek Massacre in 1832.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Creek_massacre

1857: The Ottawa Starch Factory is opened for business.
1861: Hardware dealers King and Hamilton erect a three-story brick building on Ottawa's Main Street.
1870: Burglars take four
coats and pair of pants from Henry Towle's dry goods store in Marseilles after vandalizing several windows.
1880: M.W. Bach opens a horse collar manufacturing factory in Ottawa.
1891: The Alliance Manufacturing firm starts at 114-116 W. Main St., Streator. It makes vending wagons and other items.
1906: Crawford Locomotive and Car, a manufacturer of railway equipment, opens in Streator.
1919: The first Streator Township High School Hardscrabble is published.
1920: Nineteen
cars of
a Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad freight train derail a half-mile east of the Ottawa station, tearing up 100 feet of track. No injuries are reported.
1927: The Streator Independent Times Newspaper and The Streator Free Press merge.
1930: Two calf rustlers are sentenced to terms of one to 10 years for slaying and stealing two veal calves from a farm near Oglesby.
1939: The Streator Armory is built on West Bridge Street.
1951: Little League Baseball in Streator is organized and will start next summer.
1963: The Streator Granada Theatre is destroyed by fire.
1964: Lipton Tea on East Main Street, Streator, decides to leave. It opened in 1947.
1981: The famous Streator Decorating Store and Mushro's Men's Clothing closes.

Article from Mark Ganzer